Sunday, January 10, 2010

What does it really mean to be in an institution?

I've mentioned before that Olivia was due to be sent to an institution. Back in December a family was there and they told me that Olivia's baby house was for children ages 2-4. Since she was at the top of that age spectrum, and they were running out of space with other little ones coming in behind her, they were beginning to discuss her transfer. This is not uncommon as most children are transferred around age 5. This family begged them to keep her longer so they could try to find her a family. But why? What does it really mean to be sent to an institution?

The other day I jumped onto the website of a family who had adopted a little girl with CP from the same country as us. I was scrolling down learning a bit about their time home with her when I came upon some pictures of Reece's Rainbow kids who needed families. She had listed them in December in hopes that someone would see their child in those eyes. Imagine my surprise when as I scrolled down I was met with the eyes of Olivia! This was written under her picture:

If nothing changes, each of these specific children will soon be sent to live in an institution where they will be confined to a bed. Most sent to the institution die soon after. There is not adequate nutrition or medical attention and there is most certainly not adequate stimulation, attention, connection, or love... This is not a life, even for those who manage to survive. I see glimpses of this existence any time Mary reverts back to her self-soothing rocking pattern. It aches so deep within me to see her do that (which is rare and if she does begin again, we stop her immediately, reminding her: "You have a Mommy and Daddy to rock you now, baby, you don't have to rock yourself... ever again"). The ache is for her past, yes, but also for the present and future of SO MANY like her.

I recently found a report from The Today Show that featured Serbian institutions. Olivia is not in Serbia but this will give you an idea of what so many of the beautiful children in Eastern Europe are facing. It is a harsh reality and I'll warn you that you will need a tissue:

There are so many more out there like Olivia and some won't have a family come to take them away. I can't tell you how it kills me to see the faces of all of the waiting children on Reece's Rainbow's website. Each of them is so beautiful and has so much to offer a family. I truly believe that we are the ones who will be blessed beyond measure because of this little girl's place in our lives. Everyday is a day closer to Olivia and we just can't wait. Please pray for our funding and for all of the details of our paperwork to come together quickly!

2 comments:

Heather S. said...

Blog looks great!

Wow! Breaks my heart to think about all those children just needing love but instead stuck in a bed and barely cared for!!

Heather said...

How horrible, so glad you are saving a child from that life!